paulvm's "My Own Personal Top 100 Albums of All Time (in progress)"
1) I realized that some groups are just out and out "singles acts" but I can enjoy their best efforts (over the career) as much as a single finely crafted collection from a single year. Also, I haven’t heard complete albums from many bands that were "before my time" and in many cases the record label has deleted the full album in favor of anthologies. So, I’m allowing greatest hits albums.
2) Nothing newer than 1996. If I haven’t lived with it for at least 10 years, I can’t really call it an "all time" favourite of mine.
3) I also tend to disallow an album that’s new TO ME. In other words, it can be from 1966 but if I’ve only known about it since 2003, I’m probably not going to put it here.
4) I’ve tried to only include albums that are fairly readily available. Obscure, out of print compilations may look great and prove your "cred" but they’re not very helpful for people trying to find some great new music to listen to.
5) I’ll keep them to a minimum but I’m also allowing soundtracks and compilation albums.
Please note these are not in any particular order. Choosing a mere 100 was tough enough….
THISLIST IS IN THEPROCESS OF BEINGFINALIZED: If it’s less than or more than 100, that’s why…I’m still trying to narrow these down and come up with a list I can live with….